Batman by Finch and JPMayer

I haven't really had the time to color anything again lately. But tonight I was too tired to do any actual work but too awake to sleep so I thought I'd tackle David Finch's Batman pin-up, inked by JPMayer.

I haven't  always been a huge fan of Batman. Frankly I felt the character was, well... Boring. I still read Catwoman, Gotham Central, Nightwing, Birds of Pray and everything I could about the superb bad guys around him. Until one day I ran out of comics about Gotham and slyly my boyfriend gave me A Long Halloween saying, this one has all your favorite characters. I wasn't too eager about it but thought I'd give it a try. After that he gave me Hush. All I can say is, my boyfriend is one smart guy :D Now it is me in our family buying all the Batman titles I can get my hands on.

I've wanted to color the character for months but never found the right pic. Or then the picture was already colored by someone so beautifully that I knew I could never get even close to it.

When I saw the inks by JPMayer in DeviantArt I knew I had found my picture. I love Finch's style and the drawing was brand new to me. I had never seen it colored. I love doing pictures like that and this one also had the right mood.

I ended up using even more texture brushes and layers then normally. I feel it gives a certain depth to pic and makes it alive.

***EDIT***
I redid the colors on this few days later. You can find the fixed version here


The inks by JPMeyer

The final colors by me

Colors before fixing the levels



Bats without the textures and final lighting effects

Comments

  1. Groovy Batman and like the sleekly dirty colors. And thank you. Most likely wont hear this often:
    " All I can say is, my boyfriend is one smart guy :D"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll obviously deny ever saying that in public ;D
    Love you werewolf, you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts